Faith Baptist Church
4258 Botetourt Road
Fincastle, Virginia 24090
1. Ambassador - The believer interacting with mankind, as a representative of God and Heaven, II Cor.5:20.
2. Angelic Conflict - The warfare started in Heaven when Satan usurped the authority of God, Isa.14:12-14. All believers are involved because they are in the family of God. God will demonstrate his right to condemn Satan and the fallen angels through the testimony of his lower creation, namely saved mankind.
3. Anthropology - The study of mankind’s beginning; his fall into sin, and his destiny.
4. Angelology - The study of angels.
5. Anti-Semitism - Hostility demonstrated toward the Jews, whether in thought or act;
not advisable as per Gen.12:1-3.
6. Agnostic - One who claims you cannot know God nor the basic tenants of truth.
7. Atonement - Primarily an Old Testament term denoting the blood sprinkled on the mercy seat of the ark, Ex.25:17-22. It was a covering until the Supreme Sacrifice,( Jesus Christ), would propitiate, that is, satisfy God’s just demands for payment of sin, thus taking all sin away, Rom.3:25; Jn.1:29.
8. Believer - One who has received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
9. Bible Doctrine - The categorical teachings found in the Bible, situated in historical and prophetical setting, seen as commands, warnings, encouragement, comfort, obedience, order of life, and general revelation as coming from God by the agency of the Holy Spirit through the pen of chosen men, II Pet.1:21.
10. Canon - The 66 books of the Bible recognized as genuine and inspired by God.
11. Carnality - The believer under the control of the old sin nature, I Cor.3:1-3.
12. Categorical Teaching - A single Bible doctrine taught by subject and context extracted from both Old and New Testaments, Isa.28:9-10,13.
13. Christophany - An appearance of Christ in bodily form before His incarnation.
14. Deity - The character or nature of God.
15. Demonology - The doctrine of demons ( fallen angels ).
16. Dispensations - A period of time in which God specifies a standard of conduct for mankind and reveals God’s divine revelation for his plans for that period of time. Every dispensation ends in divine judgment.
17. Divine Essence - Attributes and characteristics of the Godhead. What God is like.
18. Divine Assets for Perception - A phrase coined to encapsulate Divine grace provisions given the believer for the understanding of God’s word: God, the Holy Spirit indwelling the believer, the human spirit, Bible truth, positive volition, local church, pastor-teacher.
19. Ecclesiology - The doctrine of both the universal and the local church.
20. Edification Complex - Taken from the Greek noun, oiko/dome, oikos, a home, and demo, to build, Eph.4:12. Refers to the building of a spiritual house in the believer’s soul.
21. Essence- God’s attributes such as righteousness, sovereignty, justice, eternal life, love, all knowing, all powerful, all present, unchanging, truthfulness.
22. Expiation- The removal of the penalty of sin.
23. Emotional revolt of the soul - When the emotions are given sway over the thinking of the soul.
24. Grace - God’s system of favor shown to mankind which neither requires nor accepts a return of works or payment.
25. Gnosticism - A false teaching which attempts to reconcile God’s word with human philosophy, heathenism and Judaism: claims all matter is evil.
26. Gnosis - A Greek word meaning to have a fact of knowledge.
27. Harmartiology - The doctrine of sin.
28. Heathenism - A life style that rejects God-consciousness or Gospel hearing.
29. Humanity - The character or nature of mankind.
30. Human Spirit - Given to mankind at the point of salvation to store accepted Bible truth, and then to use such truth in personal fellowship with God, I Cor.2:12-13.
31. Hypostatic Union - A theological term denoting the union of undiminished deity and true humanity in the person of Jesus Christ.
32. Immutable - To be unchangeable.
33. Impeccability - The sinless character of Jesus Christ. He had no sin nature.
34. Imputation - The act of assigning or crediting something to someone either in cursing or blessing, Rom.4:3-8.
35. Incarnation - When God became flesh and took on the form of man, Jn.1:14.
36. Inspiration - God supernaturally directed the writers of Scripture so; that without wavering their human intelligence, literary style, or personal feelings, or any other human factor, they received His understood message. This message was recorded with perfect accuracy, and bears God’s authority of divine authorship, I Pet.1:21.
37. Justification - A judicial act of God whereby God declares righteous the one who has believed in Jesus Christ, Rom.5:1.
38. Justice - The attribute of God that functions to secure the integrity of God’s righteous standards.
39. Lake of fire - Place of eternal burning and punishment originally created by God for Satan and the fallen angels; the final destination of all unbelievers. Satan does not and will not rule there, Rev.20:10, 15.
40. Legalism - The methods of man utilized to win God’s favor by human merit or works, Titus 3:5.
41. Lucifer - From the Hebrew word meaning “bright, morning star;” the chosen angel who guarded the throne of God; the name of Satan before he sinned, Isa.14:12-14.
42. Mediator - One who is equal with both parties of a mediation and therefore acts as a go-between, I Tim.2:5.
43. Millennium - The period of 1,000 literal years when Christ will reign in person on this present earth, Isa.9:6-7; 11:1-9; Rev.20:3-6.
44. Omnipotence - God’s unlimited power.
45. Omnipresence - God’s constant presence throughout the entire universe.
46. Omniscience - God’s all knowing, infinite, and eternal knowledge.
47. Pneumatology - The doctrine of the person and work of the Holy Spirit.
48. Positional Truth - Doctrinal truths that define the believer’s eternal fixed union with Jesus Christ.
49. Propitiation - From the Greek word hilaskomai [ verb form], to appease the gods, and hilasmos, [noun form], to be merciful.
49. con’t…It is the doctrine of God’s justice and righteousness which is satisfied with the sacrifice of Christ on the cross for the payment of all of mankind’s sin.
50. Rapture - The meeting of the Church both [dead and living New Testament believers], with Christ in the air at the end of the Church Age Dispensation, I Thess.4:13-17; I Cor.15:51-54. This is a theological term taken from the Latin, meaning to snatch away.
51. Reconciliation - The removal of the sin barrier between God and man by the work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Also an ambassadorial duty of believers to plead with sinners, to believe on Jesus Christ for salvation, and for the saved living in sin, to be joined in fellowship restoration to God, II Cor.5:18-21.
52. Redemption - To be purchased eternally out of the slave market of sin and set free, and not to be put up for sale again, Rom.3:24.
53. Regeneration - The act of the sinner being saved by faith in Christ; receiving a new nature; to be “born-again”, Titus 3:5.
54. Repentance - A complete change of mind with a correct corresponding change of action concerning Jesus Christ. This is not simply feeling sorry for sin.
55. Sanctification - The state of being set apart unto God. Seen as both an eternal fixed positional truth in relationship to God through faith in Jesus Christ. Also seen as an operational truth as the believer allows God through Bible doctrine to establish the believer’s life and practice.
56. Second Coming - The personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ to this earth as He comes in power and glory. This occurs at the end of the Tribulation Period. This is not the Rapture of the Church, Rev.19:11-16.
57. Sin Nature - The flawed character of every human being which tempts us to sin against God, Rom.5:12.
58. Soul - The immaterial part of mankind comprising of the, self-consciousness [ ego], mentality [ thinking], volition [free will], conscience [ standards of right and wrong] and emotion, [ response or reaction], along with the old sin nature acquired at the spiritual fall of Adam, the first man.
59. Spirituality - The state of the believer controlled by God, The Holy Spirit.
60.Spiritual Maturity - The state of spiritual growth in which the believer in Jesus Christ consistently thinks, and responds to circumstances, people and things with a divine point of view. See Edification Complex [ # 20].
61. Theology- The doctrine of God.
62. Theophany - A manifestation or appearance of God in bodily form before the occurrence of the incarnation of Jesus Christ.
63. Tribulation Period - A period of seven literal years on the earth which follows the Rapture of the Church. This Dispensation period prepares Israel to receive Jesus Christ as her Messiah when he makes his Second Coming at the end of the Tribulation Period.
64. Trinity - The doctrine that God is one in essence, see
[#21], three in personality, co-equal and co-eternal.
65. Worldliness - The mental attitude that surrounds itself with the causes and ambitions and philosophies of materialism and humanism where the person of Jesus Christ is excluded, I Jn.2:15-17 compared to Col.3:1-4.
Pastor John Reynolds